Scroll down to the bottom of this post for new photos.
This is what I wrote a few weeks ago about Hurricane Katrina.
Stay tuned to this blog for more info about the donations collection for furniture, appliances, and building materials. Trip will be early February. The truck will be going from Little Elm, TX to Dallas, then Austin, then San Antonio, and finally to Jackson County Mississippi. This is the full list of what Jackson County is asking for:
Here is a list of the items we most need in Jackson County. This list came from our survey assessments and from people on the ground that have been working in the storm surge areas for the past 16 months.
- Sheet rock
- Roofing shingles and felt
- 2 x 4 studs
- stove, gas or electric
- Furniture, Chairs and/or couches for living rooms
- Microwave ovens
- Standard size doors (Inside)
- Tennis shoes for children and youth
- Queen/double size matresses
- Funds to purchase:
- Groceries for senior citizens and families that have both or if there is only one parent on disability.
- Turn on electricity in rental units, (costs between $90 – $140 per household) landlords require a down payment before a rentor can move into the property.
- Medications for senior citizens on fixed incomes and families with parents that have both or if there is only one parent on disability.
The Jackson County Community Services Coalition is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit and we can purchase any of the above items locally and distribute to those in need if individuals or groups want to send financial support instead of paying the freight charges to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Whatever you may decide, thank you for your support and help. For those considering on supporting these efforts for your information the Community Coalition has an independent audit completed yearly by a CPA.